COVID-19 Safety procedures
Posted on 3 Jun, 2020 by Sarah Hart
Gosh, it feels such a long time ago that I closed my studio and we went in to lockdown. But finally, there is a little light on the horizon! As of this week, I’m now offering outdoor photography again (maintaining a social distance) – my first shoot on Monday was WONDERFUL! And I’ve been putting in place plans for reopening the studio again. Following government guidance and keeping you safe, I plan to reopen again from the 15th June with new COVID-19 safety procedures.
Sadly, it’s not business as usual just yet. I have decided that it is not possible for me to be able to offer newborn photography currently – I would normally be in such close contact with your baby to soothe and pose, which wouldn’t be possible if socially distancing. This situation will be reviewed regularly (I’m very much missing working with newborns and feel sad for the parents of lockdown babies who haven’t been able to have their newborns photographed yet).
So what can I offer in the studio from the 15th June?
Well, I’m thrilled to be able to offer older baby photography sessions (babies MUST be able to sit unaided) and cake smash photo shoots again. Sessions will be a little different from now on (isn’t everything in our lives at the moment?!). Keeping you and your baby safe is my priority and so I have reviewed all hygiene practises to ensure clients receive a safe and enjoyable photo shoot. The following COVID-19 safety procedures will be in place indefinitely….
Keeping you Safe – new COVID-19 Safety Procedures
Before your session:
- I will be in touch the day before your session to check you are all healthy and confirm that you are showing no signs of COVID-19. You will also be asked those same questions again at your session.
- Session availability will be limited to 1 session a day. This will ensure that enough time is provided to thoroughly clean the studio and all props after each session.
Entering the studio:
- When you arrive, please ring my door bell and I will open up the garage for you to enter through in to the garden. I will allow clients to enter the studio first. Please take off your shoes and walk over to the other side of the studio.
- You will then be asked to use alcohol-based hand sanitiser provided by the studio.
- I will have also washed my hands just prior to your session and will use the hand sanitiser upon entering the studio.
The photo shoot:
- There is tape across the studio to mark out the minimum distance of 2 metres from the shooting area to myself. I will remain behind the tape and will ask parents to stay at the side of the paper backdrop near their baby/child. If your baby crawls or walks out of the paper backdrop area, a parent will need to pick them back up to put back on the backdrop.
- I have a supply of cloth masks for me to wear at each session and will be washed after each session. I will wear a mask through much of the shoot. However, in order to capture your little one’s expressions, I will need to pull my mask down to make eye contact and interact with your children when taking the photographs.
- It is not necessary for children to wear a mask at their session. Parents are welcome to wear their own mask (much better for our environment) or one of the disposable masks that are available in my studio. It is not compulsory for parent’s to wear one – you may decide it would unsettle your little one too much at their photo shoot.
How you can help:
- Please try to adhere to a 2 metre where possible whilst in the studio. The studio is small, but it is possible for us all to maintain a social distance.
- Please have your baby/child dressed in their outfit ready so we can start the session as soon as you arrive.
- If you show any kind of COVID-19 symptom, or indeed if you or your little one are unwell in any way, please call to cancel your session – sessions can be rescheduled.
- Please also do not attend the studio if you have been in contact with anyone with Covid 19 symptoms 14 days prior to your photoshoot
After the session:
- The bathroom facilities in the studio will be thoroughly cleaned.
- Paper backdrops will be rotated and a minimum of 3 days will be left in between usage.
- Any fabrics used in session will be machine washed/hand-washed (this has always been a procedure).
- All studio surfaces including any props used at a session such as bowls, crates, benches, will be sanitised.
Welcoming You Back!
Oh, I honestly can’t wait to welcome you and your gorgeous babies back to the studio. Of course, I’ll continue to keep a close eye on government advice, and feel fully prepared for reopening in a safe and responsible way. I want my photography clients to be assured that I have taken every precaution possible adhere to guidelines and keep everyone safe.
And I haven’t just been completing risk assessments and writing COVID-19 safety procedures during this period of lockdown! Oh no! I’ve been super busy, tidying and sorting out my studio (a long over due task). New ideas for cake smash sessions have been planned (I’m bursting with excitement for these). And I got the sewing machine out and learnt how to make masks for our family and the studio. Plus I’ve created new little cake smash rompers for the girls and a bigger range of outfits for the boys. Feeling a little proud of my new lockdown sewing skills!
You can see the catalogue of outfits here:
And you can follow all my cake smash Ideas here on my Cake Smash Inspiration Pinterest board
So, if you’ve baby has learnt the new skill of sitting during lockdown and want to book a milestone baby photo shoot to document their awesomeness. Or, if you’re approaching your baby’s 1st birthday milestone and would like to book a cake smash session to celebrate, drop me an email (email@example.com). I can’t wait to welcome you back (with my penguin mask on!)